FSB Central Border Guard Museum, the former the KGB Frontier troops Museum, formerly NKVD Museum. Guide book and virtual tour.
One of the best military-historical museums in Russia. Call for the needs of the FSB. The collection contains rare exhibits the military history of the Soviet Union / Russia including the period of the Second World War.
After the seizure of power in Russia by the Communists in 1917, the Soviet state was at the war against the old Russian army (the “White Army”) and its allies in the Entente. The Soviet government has won the international military forces in the 1920-1922 years, but the local fighting continued on the border to the 20-, 30-‘s (Far East and Central Asia).
The main objective of the border service ChK-NKVD was to protect the Soviet state on the foreign saboteurs, the spies and suppressing attempts by the Soviet citizens to leave their Soviet Motherland. Before the Second World War the border troops fought with the Japanese army near Lake Khasan and the River Halkin-Gol. During the plan “Barbarossa” war of Nazi Germany against the Soviet border troops first took a hit, and participated in the war. At the end of the Second World War, the border troops guarding the zone of Soviet occupation in Europe.
During the “Cold War” border guards constantly reflect attempts, including the military, the penetration of the USSR foreign spies and saboteurs.
Now Border Service troops is constantly involved in various local fighting in the North Caucasus and fights international terrorists.
A brief history of the museum:
• Founded in February 1914 at the headquarters of the Separate corps of border guards in St. Petersburg, it existed until 1917.
• Recreated in November 1932 in the conduct of the General Political Department of the Border Guard and troops of the NKVD of the USSR.
• In May 1935, museum transferred to the Graduate School of Frontier NKVD.
• Since September 1935 the museum was located in the special motorized infantry division of special purpose them. F. Dzerzhinsky (OMSDON).
• In 1939, the museum moved to the General Directorate of Border Troops of the NKVD.
• During World War II museum evacuated to Tashkent (Asia).
• After returning from evacuation in June 1943 it became the Museum of the troops of the NKVD, the Soviet Interior Ministry.
• From March 1957 – Border Troops KGB Museum (later – the USSR Ministry of State Security).
• In 1977 he received the status of “Central Museum of Border Guards” (KGB).
• After the reformation in 1991, the structures of the former KGB Frontier Troops management becomes an independent federal service. The museum moved to this service and in 1997 was named “Central Museum of the Federal Border Service of the Russian Federation.”
• After returning to the FSB Border Service, the museum was renamed the “FSB Central Border guard Museum of Russia.”
In September 1946 the museum was reopened in Moscow on Bolshaya Bronnaya, 23. In his windows were widely available materials on not only the protection of the border, but the border troops and participate in the fighting at the front. Special attention was paid to the exposure fighting on the border in 1941, when the guards took the first blow of Nazi troops. Original documents and materials, relics collected from excavations ruined outposts received from the fighting parties, were vivid evidence of the resistance and courage of border guards. Exposure is also displayed and the service for the protection of the southern and far eastern borders during the war
Since 1995, the museum is located together with the Central House of the Border Service of the Russian Federation on the Yauza Boulevard, 13, in a building constructed in 1908 by architect NP Evlanova. This former apartment house that hides a huge space with a complex system of the corridors, stairways and passages. At the entrance – meter Felix Dzerzhinsky, right – monumental painting with the three heroes. Serious visitor comes here to study the documents – a giant archive here. But you can look at this museum and other eyes. Spy equipment, space suits, border posts, and an unprecedented number of all sorts of different weapons – from cutlasses that the first border guards of the Russian land cut a path through the reeds, to machine guns and “Kalashnikovs” …
MUSEUM EXHIBITION INCLUDES 5 departments:
- The department first. Border guards of the Russian state. Prior to October 1917.
- Second hall. Border troops in the Soviet period. 1917-1941 gg.
- Third exposition. Border troops of the USSR during the Great Patriotic War., 1941-1945.
- Exposition Four. Border troops of the USSR in the 1945- 1991 biennium.
- Division Five. Authorities and the border troops of the Russian Federation. 1992 – till now.
Interesting memorial hall with portraits of all the heads of the Border Service of Russia. In this hall in a solemn ceremony held awarding deserving Russian state and public awards.
The museum: about 60 thousand exhibits and collections. It documents, banners, weapons, military equipment and uniforms, paintings, photos, video and film footage, which cover the entire historical period of the Russian Border Guard Service
Access: restricted, ID requiered in advance. Since 2014 excursions are available only for FSB officers and cadets, KGB veterans and the official delegations (Russian Army, government etc.)
Some photos of the Central Border guard museum:
to be continued, waiting…