Rocket and Space Corporation Energia (RSC) quick history
- 1946 – Creation of NII-88 on the basis of the plant №88. (S.P. Korolev, the chief designer of the ballistic missiles, long-range (Vol. 1 number)).
- 1956 – the establishment of OKB-1 with the plant №88.
- 1966 – OKB-1 conversion to TSKBEM with MEM (Plant №88) and branch (DI Kozlov).
- 1974 – TSKBEM conversion “Energia”.
- 1994 – NGO transformation “Energy” JSC “RSC” Energia ” named after S.P. Korolev”.
- 1946-1972 – The first domestic ballistic missiles of various types (from mobile ground systems to tactical ballistic missile submarines and intercontinental strategic thermonuclear weapons carriers).
All under the guidance of S.Korolev have been developed and manufactured 14 strategic missile complexes (11 of them were put into service), liquid rocket engines, rocket units, including the first space rocket R-7 – one of the most reliable in the world.
The first products were made in the factory for flight testing and scoring.
Transferred into production:
- the R-1, R-2, R-5 – “Southern Machine-Building Plant”, Dnipropetrovsk (MK Yangel);
- R-11 missile R-11FM and expander S2-253 – “Zlatoust Machine-Building Plant”, Zlatoust (VP Makeyev);
- missile R-7 and R-9 – Plant “Progress”, Samara (DI Kozlov);
- RT-2 missile – “Perm ‘plant of chemical equipment”, Perm, Russia;
- modular upper stage of the “DM” – “Krasnoyarsk Machine Building Plant”, Krasnoyarsk;
- liquid rocket engine S2-260 – “Wagon Factory”, Ust-Katav;
- liquid rocket engine 11D58 – “Voronezh Mechanical Plant” Voronezh (SA Kosberg);
- Hardware – “Kievpribor” and “Kievpromarmatura”, Kiev.
The plant produced just 462 rockets, more than 3,400 liquid rocket engines and 368 RB. Total transferred 31 product, 11 destinations in 18 cities in the country.
- 1956-2001 – The first spacecraft, AMC, manned and cargo ships, orbital stations “Salyut” orbital complex “Mir”, a reusable space system “Energia-Buran” and the most important components of the system, devices and components for them.
Manufacture of spacecraft and unmanned interplanetary station transmits:
- “Lightning” – NGO “Applied Mechanics”, Krasnoyarsk (MF Reshetnev);
- “Zenith” – plant “Progress”, Samara (DI Kozlov);
- “Moon”, “Venus”, “Mars” – NPO. SA Lavochkin, Khimki (GN Babakin).
NGO leaders “Energy”
- 1946-1966 – S.P. Korolev
- 1966-1974 – V.P. Mishin
- 1974-1989 – V.P. Glushko
- 1989-2005 – J.P.Semenov
- 2007 – V.A. Lopota
The main products today:
Manned Space Systems
- accessories for FGB “Zarya” module “Pirs”, “Star”;
- ships such as “Union TMA”, “Progress M”, “Progress M1”;
- System for the European cargo spacecraft ATV (refueling system, docking system, the docking unit and the Russian systems control system).
Automatic Space Systems
- communications satellites on the basis of universal space “Victoria” platform;
- specialized satellites on the basis of this platform.
Missile systems, boosters such as:
- DM and DM-SL booster rockets for the type of “Proton” and “Zenit-3SL” complex “Sea Launch”;
- DM-SLB for “Land Launch” project.
Rocket and Space Corporation Energia has a museum. The museum has
- demonstration hall with spacecrafts (1300 m2),
- the Labour Glory hall (made in soviet era communist style)
- the Memorial room devoted to S.P. Korolev (250 m2)
The spacecraft hall shows the history of the developing the soviet/ Russian rocket and space technology: from the pioneer home-made long-range ballistic missiles to the Energia launch vehicle and the Sea Launch Rocket and Space Complex, from the pioneer artificial earth satellites till all modifications of the manned and transport spacecrafts.
Visitors may touch the descent module by the first cosmonaut, Yuri Alexeyevich Gagarin, see the Voskhod-2 multi-man spacecraft, from which Alexei Arkhipovich Leonov pioneered in performing space walk; full-scale mockup of the Soyuz-Apollo first international orbital complex: full-scale mockup of the Salyut orbital station and many other things.
The Labour Glory hall shows the enterprise history made by those who contributed a lot to its growth and development: the photos; documents, awards; memorable souvenirs etc..
The S.P. Korolev Memorial room dedicated to the famous designer work study. Here you can find his personal belongings, a lot of photographs and documents which are today of significant historical value.
The visiting the museum:
- Children must be above 14 years old;
- Museum is restricted. The request to visit must be send one mobth (!) in advance. Tours are conducted for groups of visitors at least 10 persons for foreign nationals. If the group of visitors is smaller than 10 for foreign nationals, the admission fee is charged as if the group were complete.
- Monday through Thursday: 9:00 – 16:00;
- Friday and days before national holidays: 9:00 – 15:00.
- the way to/ from Moscow by the cat takes 2 x 1,5 hours (depends of the traffic)
Making arrangements for a tour:
- One month before the visit, the date and time of the visit must be agreed with our staff by mail (look at contacts);
- Fill out an application form;
- Call or mail us to make sure the application form has been received;
- Two days before the visit, finalize the time of the tour by phone or mail.